Allison Pon - Marathon | Edmonton, AB
What is your:
- Go-to pre-run food/nutrition?
- When I'm in a healthy mood it's bagels and bananas. When I'm not it's cookies, which I'm pretty sure work equally as well.
- Go-to post-run food/nutrition?
- Usually whatever requires the least amount of effort to get into my mouth. Post-marathon is the only time I will cave and eat snacks out of a hotel minibar.
- Favorite running gadget/accessory?
- I recently got a pair of bone conducting Aftershokz headphones, and I find them really nice for races because I can have music but still hear the crowds on the course. They are also really helpful for not getting run over by bikes when I'm running around town.
- Favorite place to run?
- The beautiful Edmonton river valley! I think a lot of people don't realize how spoiled we are here to have so many uninterrupted miles of trail system to explore right in the middle of the city.
Would you rather:
- Trail or road race?
- Both! I think trails are more fun to run, but I also love the atmosphere of a big road race with lots of other runners and spectators.
- Indoor or outdoor running?
- Outdoors, always. The treadmill is my nemesis and I will go outside in a -30°C snowstorm to avoid getting on that thing.
- Silence or music?
- I usually like some music to pump me up, or a good podcast on a long run.
- Solo run or run with friends?
- Run with my doggo. Because you'll never get a more enthusiastic response than that of your dog when you ask if they want to go run around the park for a bit.
What is your favourite Servus Edmonton Marathon memory
All three years I've run have been super memorable for me. My first Edmonton Marathon was also the first marathon I ever ran, and I was just so thrilled that I didn't die. The second time I ran my first Boston Marathon qualifying time and was so ecstatic I spent the next couple months telling anyone who would listen. And last year I ran my current marathon PR here, so I guess this race is just a good one for me.