Ben Gibas - Half Marathon | Sherwood Park, AB
What is your:
- Go-to pre-run food/nutrition?
- Especially in the mornings I try to keep it light and I do like running on an empty/emptier stomach. For longer distances or on half marathon race day, I like either some toast or a bagel with peanut butter and a banana 2-3 hours before. Other than that, water and/or electrolytes are definitely important
- Go-to post-run food/nutrition?
- I am tempted to say bagel again because I like bagels haha. After a good run I am always a big fan of eggs and avocado on toast. A great alternative would also be some oatmeal with berries and coconut.
- Favorite running gadget/accessory?
- There are so many cool gadgets and accessories now but I’d have to say that my go to accessory on every run still has to be my IPhone. For one, it’s nice to have in case of emergency but with plenty of great GPS running apps and Spotify for music it has everything I need for now. I do have to admit that a smart watch with GPS would be a nice little gadget, especially for races. Another go to accessory for me for those outdoor runs is a hat. It comes in handy for sun and sweat and you can wear it backwards for some obvious extra cool points.
- Favorite place to run?
- I am a creature of habit for sure. My favourite (or most frequent) running routes all start from our house, headed in the same direction. Maybe it’s just a silly habit but I always feel like the consistency to start helps me settle in to a nice groove. I then have some variations along the way depending on desired distance or if there is a special destination like a coffee shop.
Would you rather:
- Trail or road race?
- I definitely enjoy a good trail run but I think my natural preference would be a road race.
- Indoor or outdoor running?
- It is definitely nice to get outside to run, especially in the summer and for those longer runs but I also enjoy the treadmill. In the winter months the treadmill is always appealing
- Silence or music?
- When I run by myself I always listen to music. The past two summers, when running the trails with our running stroller, I’ve enjoyed chatting with our kids along the way so the music has always stayed behind
- Solo run or run with friends?
- I enjoy running with friends but solo runs are more frequent for me.
How many years have you ran in the Servus Edmonton Marathon?
2020 will be my fourth time participating in the Servus Edmonton Marathon, each time in the half marathon.