What is your:
- Go-to pre-run food/nutrition?
- Before a race, I always eat a bowl of Stoked Oats oatmeal for breakfast.
- Go-to post-run food/nutrition?
- I don’t like to eat right away after a race. I usually like to go to Starbucks to drink an americano coffee, then I love eating french fries
- Favourite running gadget/accessory?
- My earphones, as I love listening to music. My other favourite accessory is a handheld water bottle, as I like to drink Nuun and I have a few Rekarb energy gels stored to help get me through a race or long distance training run.
- Favourite place to run?
- On weekends during warmer days, I love going out to Banff or somewhere in Kananaskis to trail run.
Would you rather:
- Trail or road race?
- I like both trail and road races equally. It’s more a matter of what race I am focusing my training on during the time of the year.
- Indoor or outdoor running?
- It depends on the weather! In the winter, I prefer indoor running. And during the workweek, I run on the treadmill first thing in the morning before I get ready to go to school. But on nice non-school days, I like running outdoors.
- Silence or music?
- Music! I love running outside with music on, or listening to a podcast during long runs.
- Solo run or run with friends?
- I prefer training solo. But I like social runs with friends, especially trail runs.
When and how did you get started in running?
I started running for fun in University, but I didn’t seriously get into running until 2009, when my best friend unexpectedly passed away. I decided that I wanted to start tackling bucket list items, as life is too short. One of those items was to run a marathon. I ran my first marathon in 2010 at the Calgary Marathon. My time was close to a BQ, so I kept training and was able to improve my time; I ran the Boston Marathon five years in a row before I decided to focus on other races. Over the past decade, I’ve run 41 half marathons, 24 marathons, and 10 ultramarathons. I’ve even completed one Ironman.